Total Pageviews

Monday, August 30, 2010

A Slight Delay in Treatment

We had a mini-crisis overnight and this morning where there was some questioning amongst family members as to whether total brain radiation was indeed the best initial course of action.  After a lot of research and phone consultations with doctors today, we are back on track and confident that for my particular situation, total brain radiation is indeed the way to go.  So now I feel more confident going forward than I had before, which is important.

In the process of questioning the approach however, I had another phone conversation today with my radiation oncologist, Dr. L, that did not leave me feeling very warm and fuzzy.  Quite frankly, I was completely turned off with his defensiveness and tone-deaf responses to my concerns and questions.  We had similar problems during our long consultation last Friday and so, after today's phone call, I made a request to change radiation oncology doctors in order to have more confidence in this relationship as I go forward into treatment.  As a result, my treatment will now start on this Wednesday, September 1 at 2:00 and I will be working with Dr. William Bloomer at Highland Park.  He is the senior radiation oncologist there and hopefully will prove to be a better partner for my style and approach to cancer management.

7 comments:

AlliMarie said...

Hi Donna - My Mom (Mary Murray) forwarded me your blog. I'm glad that you are taking the steps and making the requests that are needed to ensure that you and Douglas are comfortable and confident with your treatment. My prayers are with you both and know that God is watching over you. XOXO

Sue and Jeff said...

DL - You did the right thing switching doctors if you weren't comfortable. The relationship is as important or more than the treatment. You deserve the very best in both physical and emotional treatment! I fired several doctors along my journeys for the same reasons. All our love, Sue and Jeff

Unknown said...

DL... my mother once fired one of her oncologists. She says patients often forget that our doctors work for US and not the other way around. Good for you for sticking to your guns! Prayers, hugs, and lots and lots of love dear friend.

Christina Douglas said...

Hi DonnaLee,

I'm Doug's high school friend (and a nurse). I applaud everything you are doing. Great job taking charge of your care. If the new MD is annyoing, fire him too. Here's a backup Radiation Oncologist for you -- Joseph Imperato, MD
he's a compassionate guy that has a well operation (great staff)
http://www.lfh.org/physician/joseph_imperato?physicianInfo=profile

Thinking of you and happy to help in any way.

Chris Douglas
aka Christy Bird

Anonymous said...

DonnaLee, my husband Barry works in the ER at Condell so he sees all the docs pass thru daily. Please don't hesitate to call if you nerd an opinion/ref if you head to Condell. Wishing you all the best tomorrow, Shawna

Peggy Massello said...

Hi DonnaLee,
I had Dr. Bloomer for my radiation oncologist about 4 years ago. I liked him but of course YOU have to like him. I am so impressed with how you have taken this on with such courage and strength. You are in my prayers.
If you need any help walking the dogs - perhaps a playdate with Pepper - let me know. Love, Peggy

Gina Mastrangelo said...

Hi Donna Lee. I just got word. I've just read your blog start to present. Stay strong. Think positive. Accept everyone's support. Thinking of you!