Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The miracle drug is now FDA approved!

The drug I have been taking since October 2 by driving to Lansing, Michigan has been approved at last by the FDA.  So just in time for winter storms, I will no longer have to take that long drive and can get the drug, now called Tagrisso, near home.  I am really happy.

But it comes at a price...

The news is saying that Astra-Zenica is charging $12,750 per month for the drug.  I am hopeful our insurance will cover it.  If it doesn't, our savings will get tapped out quickly.  Let's hope it doesn't come to that.  It shouldn't since insurance covered the Tarceva I was taking before, which was a bargain at $18,000 or so every 3 months!

The drug seems to be working really well.  The tumor markers in my blood have gone way down and all my other blood measures like red and white blood cell counts are back in the normal range.  Next Monday is scan day with both MRI to brain and CAT to lungs so we'll see what Tagrisso has done to reduce the tumors in those places.

I think it will be a very Happy Thanksgiving with a lot to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

4 comments:

RNH said...

Yea!

RNH said...

Yea!

Nadine said...

Wonderful news!!!

Peg said...

Great news all around, DonnaLee. Grateful you guys don't have to make those long drives to MI anymore, and that current bloodwork is good.
Am sending you & Doug big hugs and wishes for a peaceful & happy Thanksgiving.
Much love, Peg