Total Pageviews

Monday, April 11, 2011

Time to Get on My Soap Box - Lung Cancer Facts

As I have gone through this lung cancer journey, I have learned a lot about a lot of things.  Obviously, I've learned a lot about lung cancer and the statistics relating to the disease.  There were a lot of surprises and some were even shocking to me.  As Breast Cancer Awareness month came and went in October, it struck me how little publicity lung cancer gets even though it is the deadliest cancer for both women and men by far.  As I looked into it, I learned that the stigma of smoking associated with lung cancer has created many misconceptions and prejudices, which has further led to less publicity, support, funding, research and cures. 

I was challenged by my dear friend Beth when I was telling her about this and she said, "So what are you going to do about it?"  Well, this is my first step.  As long as I have an audience here on my blog, I thought I would take a first step right here and now to set the record straight with facts about lung cancer.  These come from the website http://www.lungcancerfoundation.org/about-lung-cancer/fact-sheets/, a pretty reliable source:

1 comment:

Tena Russ said...

We had a friend who died recently of pulmonary fibrosis, so we are painfully aware of lung diseases. I am SO glad you are doing well.

xo