Total Pageviews

Monday, October 27, 2014

Whaaaaatt??!!!

This cancer roller coaster continues its gyrations.  The past week has been a doozy!
 
A week ago today (October 20), I woke up with ringing in my right ear only.  Although tinnitus (the official name of this syndrome) is not unusual for me occasionally, it's usually in both ears at once and it only lasts a few minutes or hours.  In this case, my one ear has been ringing continually for over a week.  Furthermore, on Thursday morning (October 23) I lost hearing in that ear entirely.
 
EXECUTIVE VERSION:
 
The hearing loss is not related to the cancer in the brain.  The MRI of the brain showed everything, including the little lesion they had seen in the prior MRI scan, to be completely clear.  The hearing loss is probably due to a random virus that got into the middle ear and hearing may or may not be restored with some serious steroids over the next 2 weeks.  There is about a 50% chance of permanent hearing loss. 

Although my hair is thinning and I continue to lose small amounts at a time, it is not coming out in clumps so I don't need to shave my head just yet. 
 
LONG VERSION:
 
When I lost my hearing entirely on Thursday, I spoke with my GP, Dr. Caplan and she saw me that afternoon.  Based on the symptoms I presented, she didn't think it was brain related but still was anxious to see the MRI results.  Her best guess was an infection in the Eustachian tubes in the inner ear.  She started me on some low-grade steroids.  I was optimistic this would solve the problem but started to have my doubts and concerns after three days passed and there still was no improvement.
 
The good news – and it is REALLY good news – is today's MRI revealed that the hearing loss is completely unrelated to the brain and the cancer and showed the brain to be perfectly clear of any lesions, old or new. 
 
Doug and I were so relieved to get a clear MRI.  After my brain lining (meningeal) inflammation back in July and learning about the new little lesion in the brain at the last MRI, we were frightened about where this hearing loss problem might lead us in terms of treatment options and their impact on quality of life.
 
While I was at Rush today for my MRI, I saw Dr. Caldarelli, an ear, nose and throat doctor, to look at my ears and have an audio test.  He suspects a virus in the middle ear.  They aren't exactly sure how I got this virus - it could be my weakened immune system made me susceptible to something which I wouldn't otherwise have been.  It may just be random (My recently-blind dog Cassidy and I are competing in collecting sensory impairments with no known cause.)  There is a 50% chance the hearing will come back with heavy duty steroids (yup, back on the prednisone) over the next two weeks.  I will get a more complete report tomorrow.

More good news – so far my hair is very gently leaving me.  It is thinning, but still presentable.  Instead of big clumps of hair coming out with a brush or a shower drain piled high with hair, there are just little delicate wisps that collect in my sink, tub and brush.  Much more manageable.  There is some discrepancy on whether I will lose it all or not – or if I don’t lose it all, just how much scalp will show through.  If a lot of scalp, then I’ll shave the rest off anyway.  In the meantime, I am enjoying having hair each additional day I get.
 
So I am riding high that I had a clean brain scan, but I am feeling a bit low about the prospect of losing my hearing.   Losing my hair is kind of the flat track on the coaster that's in between the upward climbs and downward dives.  I'm not too worried about it one way or another.
 
I hope you have enjoyed this story of my abusement park ride with cancer.
 
WHAT'S AHEAD
 
If I receive any interesting news in my call with Dr. Caldarelli tomorrow, I'll post it.
 
Next Monday, November 3 will be an Avastin-chemo-only appointment, so a shorter day at the hospital.  I may not even bother to send an update unless I learn some new information. The following week is my off week.  A CAT scan and big chemo treatment will occur on November 17. 
 
Stay tuned!

No comments: