Total Pageviews

Monday, September 20, 2010

13 Down, Minor Side Effects and Bald

Today was the 13th brain radiation treatment.  My energy is still good.  I still get spacey, but nothing too bad.  My latest weird side effect is hearing a slight metallic resonance to certain mid- and high-range sounds when people talk or I hear music.  I told the doctor about this today and he looked at me like I had two heads.  I guess that isn't a common side effect.  Maybe my musical training makes me extra sensitive - who knows. 

My right hand is almost constantly shaky now and I can't write much of anything.  (I'm going to start practicing writing left-handed.)  Dr. Bloomer decided to go back to a higher dosage of the steroids to see if that will help alleviate the shaking.  It may be getting worse as a result of swelling around the lesions from the radiation treatment and the steroids are meant to counteract that swelling.  So we'll see what that does.

Last Thursday night, Doug shaved what was left of the hair on my head so I am now officially bald.  Given all the times I have banged my head over the years, I was amazed to discover there are no dents or craters on my scalp.  I actually have a pretty well-formed melon! 

I got a beautiful wig on Friday that looks very natural and gives me the hairstyle I could never manage to get with my own hair because it was too fine and had too many cowlicks.  So now when I decide to have hair, it is FABULOUS!  (If anyone ever needs a wig for cancer treatment, I highly recommend Lori Irsay at Look Alike Solutions.  She is absolutely amazing and an advocate for me in every way.)  Then on Saturday, I got eyelash extensions that give my lashes extra length and curl and last 6-8 weeks - these give my eyes a little more pop without any extra effort.  I love the results! 

I'm not going to lie and say it was easy to lose the hair - it was anything but.  It is much harder to pretend that everything is normal when either I see myself or others see me without hair.  But when I wear the wig I do look normal - maybe better than normal.  And the rest of the time - well, it is what it is.  At least I like wearing hats.

4 comments:

Heather said...

You are so brave DL, to make jokes and be able to laugh at losing your hair is such an amazing attribute. Whilst many people in your situation would be feeling very sorry for themselves you just get on with the situation, deal with it and still manage to find things to laugh about. I love you DL, you are a true inspiration.
Fingers crossed that the steroids work for the shaking, that must be a real annoyance.
3 weeks and 6 days :) xx

Unknown said...

DL... thank you for sharing this very personal journey. Your candor is refreshing and I would imagine a release of a sort. As you said, it is what it is. I'm sorry you have to endure this, but admire your 'beingness' throughout this experience. I read a quote that said something like "it is not the situation which defines us but rather how we react to it...". Hugs to you NDOF (New Dear Old Friend).

Unknown said...

DL, I am so proud of your courage and so happy for you that you found fabulous hair. Thank you for sharing your story. I think I may just try those eyelash extensions. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Doug. Love to you both.Suzi

Unknown said...

Your high spirits and sense of humor are an inspiration. I often think about how my mundane day would be a good trade during your challenging ones. So you likely inspire some very healthy perspective building amongst your gang of supporters.
Now, on to this extreme makeover. I’m glad the results are good but just don't go Lady Gaga on us! Eyelash extensions are like a gateway drug; careful, or next you’ll be sporting platform heals!