Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Saturday's Soggy Superstar Supporters

Doug and Me at the Lung Run
In spite of the constant rain and light wind, 19 people showed up as promised to walk or run with me in the Lung Run to support education and research for lung cancer this morning.  I am so touched and impressed by this show of dedication and support.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart to each and every one of you.

Additionally, due to the generosity of friends and family, I reached my financial goal of $1000 in donations to the Respiratory Health Association of Metropolitan Chicago and Uniting Against Lung Cancer.  All of this achieved in less than a week.  My army of supporters continue to amaze me.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I even saw Dr. Bonomi and his nurse, Irene, at the event.  Nice to see they are such active supporters for the cause.  This further reinforces my choice to work with Rush Medical Center for my treatment.

I've completed 7 of the 20 brain radiation treatments at this point.  So far, the only side effects are some occasional spaciness after the treatment occurs and a little extra sensitivity in my gums.  My energy is still good and I am able to go about my normal day pretty well.  I have started with the preparations for my upcoming hair loss (I figure sometime in the middle of this coming week it will start to fall out) by having a wig being prepared (thanks much to Cheryl Hill for helping me along that adventure!) as well as purchasing some cute hats and scarves.

Thanks again to all who have been sending good wishes, cards, prayers, masses, resources and referrals.  And thank you to my friends and neighbors who are spoiling me rotten with better home-cooked meals than I've ever made for myself, rides anywhere I need to go, and all sorts of special pampering treatment.  I feel truly blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Fab pic of the 2 of you....looks like you got some Scottish weather for the event ;-)

Well done on the fundraising too, that's incredible. Keep smiling, stay strong and you'll beat this, I know you will.

Looking forward to talking with/seeing you tonight :)

Lots of love and good wishes
Hev xxxx

RNH said...

Great snap of you and Doug. Sorry we missed it. But, you have a newly minted half-black belt in your corner (Greg) after a lengthy test and ceremony yesterday, along with the rest of our family. Our donations to lung/cancer charities this year will be in Matt's mom's memory and in honor and support of you and Bob.